Monday, July 22, 2013

CUSTOMER SERVICE IN IT

dilbert-customer-service

Customer service and IT are not always thought of at the same time. I was reminded of that this morning. I went in for a very early morning MRI on a knee that I have been having issues with. I was the first one in and as I approached the receptionist desk for radiology I overheard the conversation the receptionist was having on the phone. "Great, they didn't tell us again". She was referring to their IT department making changes over the weekend to the way the log in. She was trying to figure out exactly what to do just to access the system. As it turns out they were required to use a drop down box. There actually was an e-mail sent on how to do this, however if people can not log in to get their email they don't have the instructions on how to log in. That is kind of like sending an email to everyone telling them email is down.


I personally have made mistakes in the past of not telling people of minor adjustments only to have it come back to bite me. Today I do everything possible to let customers know when functionality will change. You have to. That is part of customer service. I get the upgrades to the system but if it disrupts the way people operate it creates animosity and resentment. I totally understand that.
Customer services used to be a competitive advantage companies would boast. Today everything has to be better, faster and easier to use which is mistaken for customer service. A little compassion goes a long way no matter what profession you are in. The customer is why you have a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment