Tuesday, July 23, 2013

What is your relationship with I.T.?

Aaarrrghhhh!!  My computer isnt working!!!! I need this fixed now! Time to call the help desk.

So do you dread calling your I.T. department in to fix something or can you not wait to see them because you know your issue will be fixed? Hate them or love them you know you need them.

Working in I.T. for two decades I learned a long time ago that I want people to want me. Not be afraid of me or not want to talk to me about an issue. As a matter of fact I have been frustrated because of not getting a call, someone struggling for days and trying to fix it themselves. Was that because I had treated that person poorly at some point? Were they intimidated by me or just truly trying to help? I have seen all three.

The I.T. folk have a reputation of being condescending, talking techy and just not frankly being nice to end users. (Yes, this is coming from an I.T. person) That reputation is earned because I have seen I.T. people do that throughout my career. It creates problems and issues almost like it is us against them on either side. If we are really honest with ourselves I.T. has the ability to either make an organization more productive or take them to their knees. They have knowledge that nobody else has and knowledge is power. The question is does that power go to their head?

I worked for an International tax and accounting firm. My job in that firm was first getting three local offices running properly. Next linking them together and then building a staff. I eventually did that on a national level but in order to progress I had to explain how and why I was spending the money to the partners. Helping them understand the why was the biggest selling point so I always made sure my presentation was self explanatory. There are very few times I have been turned down for a proposed project. Of course being an accounting firm ROI and benefit analysis played a part in that too but I had to have the complete package to be successful.  

In my consulting business I love it when someone asks me questions. Once in a while when I explain things I tend to sway over on the technical side but in most cases it is me drawing pictures on the back of piece of paper and making it relateable. I am a visual person so that is usually my approach and it is effective. I want my customers to understand what is going on because in the long run it helps everybody.

So don't be afraid to talk to your I.T. person. Ask questions. I think most I.T. personalities actually get a sense of worth when they are teaching a little. Yes I.T. is constantly busy and yes so is everyone else. If every I.T. person spent 2 minutes explaining in plain terms what the issue was could you imagine how many less times you need to call that helpdesk?  Any help is appreciated. Believe me on that one!  

  Mitch Christian
Cyber Consulting
www.cyber-cs.com


No comments:

Post a Comment